Advertisements

What are you looking for?

Monday 4 December 2023

How I Handle Those Who Call Me By Name: Veteran Nollywood Actress Shaffy Bello Schools Youngsters On Respect

Advertisements


Veteran Nollywood star Shaffy Bello recently shared strong views on how young people should adequately address their elders. During a podcast appearance, she opened up about grievances around youths calling her by her first name, “Shaffy,” rather than using honorifics like “aunty.”

“Of course I still get it; I get the ‘Hi Shaffy,’” she vented. “Usually, for me, I know that upbringing matters.” explaining that the Igbos mainly use titles to address their older relatives, not informal names.

Shaffy went further to school for any youths guilty of this, often correcting them sharply but admittedly “with love.” She pointedly tells these young ones, “You haven’t earned the right to call me by my name." After all, the actress reasoned, "I have a child as old as you are.”

The message is clear: respect your elders, especially accomplished ones like Shaffy Bello, who has been in Nollywood since some of these youths were infants! She finds such overly casual greetings as intolerable as being called merely “Shaffy.”

This could spark meaningful discussion around culture and generations showing deference. Shaffy makes no apologies for demanding acknowledgement of her senior status from juniors who may forget elder-youth dynamics. Her no-nonsense reminder will surely make youngsters act straight!

Watch the video below:

How I Handle Those Who Call Me By Name: Veteran Nollywood Actress Shaffy Bello Schools Youngsters On Respect

Advertisements

No comments:

Post a Comment